Tuesday, October 15, 2013
Days are Passing Quickly
On the one hand, these last few weeks, I have felt the least pregnant, out of my whole pregnancy thus far. What I mean is, the first days, and weeks, it consumed my EVERY thought. It seemed like forever leading up the that 1st OB visit. But now, I haven't been nauseated in weeks, and I only sort of, have a baby bump. To me it looks the same size bump I had when I was 20 pounds heavier. Justin pointed out a woman at a restaurant, that was looking at me trying to determine: if I was pregnant, or just fat!
I had my 2nd OB appointment on 10/1/13 and was 14wk6d. Justin has told me when we scheduled it, that he planned on coming. That morning he said he wasn't sure if he could make it, that he would text me and let me know. As I headed over there, I assumed he'd gotten busy, and couldn't make it, since I hadn't heard from him. I was a little disappointed he hadn't called/texted to let me know one way or the other, though. When I pulled up at the doctor's office, I normally park on the right front side. But it was full, so I parked on the left. As I pulled in I barely noticed that I pulled in next to a black Nissan truck. There are so many in our neighborhood and around town. I happen to look out my window, and to my surprise, it was Justin! I had to take a second look, because it didn't quite register at first. He was so proud of himself, that he had surprised me.
I had been able to find the baby's heart myself at 13 weeks, and 14 weeks. The medical assistant at the office found the heartbeat right away, and it was 165 bpm. The midwife, Jackie, came in and she noticed right off the bat I had lost one pound. She asked if I was eating enough, was my appetite ok, had I been nauseated or vomiting. I said no I was fine. I thought to myself, don't worry, I'm sure I'll pack on the pounds later. I have been off the metformin at Dr. Wong's (the endocrinologist) request. And I confirmed that it was ok with Dr. Loy also. I'm a little worried I might start gaining more weight not being on it, as it somewhat doesn't allow your body to absord all the sugar you eat. She re-iterated that I make healthy food choices. I am trying. I eat a lot more fruit and salads, at least.
She mentioned that at the next appointment they will do the ultrasound and genetic testing if we wanted. I told her I wanted to bring the kids to the sonogram, but was nervous to have them there in case the baby wasn't properly formed or something. She probably thinks I'm a hypochondriac, which I sort of am. She assured me if something was wrong the tech wouldn't say anything, but go and get her, and have the kids leave the room. The genetic testing that they offer is a test called Panorama. She said it tests for 4 specific "sydromes" including Down's, Turner's (which is normal intelligence, but only one 'X' chromosome, so the girl would be sterile) and 2 other that are similar to Down's but usually fatal. I told her I was surprised that I was offered that test, since my sister in law only had it done because she is over 35. She said it's the standard test they use, that the AFP (Alpha-Fetal Protein) is very inaccurate. 300 out of every 1,000 patients, gets a false postive, and it didn't always pick up the true positives. I mentioned I was concerned about having a male with a micropenis, and was it caused by too low levels of testosterone during the pregnancy. She said she wasn't aware of specific causes, but was glad that I was seeking a second opinoin for Cody. I asked if I needed the Nuchal Transluceny test, she said they don't routinely do it, but could if I wanted it. I asked if it's more recommended for mom's with AMA (Advance Maternal Age). She said not necessarily, as her daughter's both had it as routine testing where they lived. I told her let's wait and see what the results of this test are. When I got home that I googled it to see if the test also determines gender, because I was pretty sure that was the test that Julie had done. It's says it's > 99% accurate at determining gender. Which sort of makes me want to find out. Because let's face it, if they did the songram, and said it was a girl, I don't think I could get completely excited. I've seen too many disappointed parents at work, that based their hopes and dreams on the sonogram. Which the test I'd have absolute proof. In the end my main concern is not having to pay out of pocket for the testing, but Jackie thinks that insurance will cover it.
The next day Justin and the kid's came to work and brought us Panera left overs that some customers from work had sent them. I asked the boys if they wanted to hear the heart, thinking that I was a pro, and especially because we had just heard it easily at the doctor's office. I could NOT find it to save my life. I felt like an idiot. I think the baby was being spiteful. A day or 2 later I found it, no problem. So all was well. Cameron has even had a few dreams about the baby. One was that it was triplets, 2 boys, and a girl;) And one that the baby was as heavy as cannon ball, that he could hardly lift and support it's head at the same time. Then Justin explained how the baby will be like a vampire, and try to suck on his shirt, and neck, and face, when he is holding it. The boys just laughed at the thought of a drooling baby vampire.
I can even feel my uterus now, when I lie flat on my back. It's about 3 finger widths below my belly button, which is just right according the Jackie. I can't wait to see it move on the ultrasound. Jackie reminded me, that I may even be feeling the baby move before I come back for my next visit. I got so distracted thinking about that, that when I finally was able to "go", I forgot to pee in the cup. Oh well:(
Now I'm trying to get Justin to narrow down which weekend we want his parents to come visit. We plan on taking them with us to have a 3D u/s, and I want it at least 2 weeks after the regular one, so we can see some difference. Justin has some hunting weekends up the air, so he needs to get his plans in order.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment