Thursday, October 17, 2013
A Trip to Shands
So last week, the night shift tech on the Maternity Unit, retired. So this week, I am on a trial week of nights to see if I'll like it. If I do, I'll let my boss Nancy know on Friday, and she'll post my position for Sec/Tech 3p-11p. I would have to continue working that shift for a few weeks, while she found a new person, had them train on days shift, and then finally train with me. So far I like it. My new schedule would be 7p-7a Tues, Wed, and Thur nights. It should be great, because I've already noticed, these patients sleep at night (unlike on Med-Surg). And worst case scenario, I might have 10-12 patients and be the only tech. Unlike having 15-18 sick patients a piece on the medical floors. This week I worked Monday night, instead of Tuesday, because Cody had an appointment at Shands Wednesday (10/16), and I couldn't be tired, and needing to sleep all day. Monday I was bored, and only had 6 patients. But I made it thru and slept from about 8:30a-2:30p, and woke up on my own, and felt plenty rested.
Cody's appointment at Shands was with the endocrinologist. It went great. It was basically just to make sure he was growing properly, and wouldn't need hormone therapy to help him trasistion into puberty. At birth, the Pediatrician said his penis was too small to circumsize. Later when looking through his medical records, I saw that micropenis was written. Later, when he was 2 he was circumcised in the hospital as an outpatient procedure. And over the years the 2 Peds he sees, have always said thing were fine. But since he has gotten overweight, for a years, I became more concerned about his metabolism and potential for normal puberty and growth. The doctor measure and graphed his testicle size and penile length, and said he is perfectly average for his age. Dr. Mike was concerned about his weight, as he is considered obese, and encouraged exercise, and healthier food choices. He said he shouldn't be drinking anything with calories. No soda, juice, gatorade, etc. He even said I could get him using the My Fitness Pal app on his iPod, to help him see for himself the calorie content of food he chooses, as well as calories burned when exercising. And teach him to be accountable.
Last but not least, I found the baby's heartbeat today. It's been almost 2 weeks since I listened, so I was a little worried. My tummy suddenly pooched out a couple weeks ago, but doesn't seem any bigger. So it was reassuring to hear. My friend, Brittany, had a miscarriage last week, so that has been weighing on my mind. I couldn't track to heart beat long enough to record it, but it was definitely strong. I have gained about 2-3 pounds I think, which is depressing. I was at the highest end of "overweight" in my BMI just before I got pregnant. So I should only gain about 15 pounds. I was hoping not to gain any until around 20 weeks, then I felt I could safely handle 15 pounds over the remaining 20 weeks. We had 2 parties with lots of yummy food last week, do I'm blaming it on that. And I am definitely trying to do better, since noticing the weight gain. But I am at a point in the pregnancy where I am just so hungry. I've been trying to eat healthy snacks, like apples and prunes, to help with being regular, also. Oh, well. I'll try to go grocery shop for better things, like celery and peanut butter, and string cheese this weekend. So when I get hungry I have a good alternative.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment