Saturday, January 16, 2010

I HEART the Elliptical

So I just started exercising earlier this week. On both Wednesday & Thursday I got up early and went in before work. The hospital I work for owns a Fitness & Rehab Center, and the membership is only $10 a month. The first day I did the stationary bike and an elliptical for a total of 30 mins, and was really glad when it was over - as my pal Patty had overslept (and thus stood me up) and I was bored. I did feel quite energized after a shower, though. as I went into work. The next morning I did only the elliptical for 20 mins (it appears to burn more calories) and used free weights to work my triceps for about 15 mins. And Patty did show up that day! I told myslef to go Friday, but I just couldn't make myself wake up that early when I didn't have to work. Infact I took the kids to school an hour late because I was so tired. Blame it on Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice! So I decided last night that I would go early this morning. Again, I couldn't wake up, and when I got up at 11am, the hours passed. Justin called and said he was on his way home from hunting, so I got ready to leave. Just before I walked out the door, Cody spilled his bowl of cereal all over the counter (and everthing else that was laying there) and I just got so aggravated. Justin home at that exact moment and I got snippy and told him to help me clean up. Then I left in a huff.

When I got to the gym one of the 'cool' elliptical machines was open. I think all 5 are made by Precor, but only 2 have these yellow boots you put your feet in. They have always been in use when I have went before (all 2 times! haha!). Now I see why... they are FUN! I know, I was surprised too. First of all you kinda bounce along more than a 'traditional' elliptical. Plus it seems tailored to my shorter stride better than the other machines. And I went along I noticed I could use it as a stair climber by watching a dial that displayed the length of my stride. I wasn't familiar with the buttons, so I put it on interval which just alternated between Level 1 and Level 4 resistance. Now I know the calorie burn is just an estimate, but after 30 mins I had burned 330 calories! The best part was I brought my iPod this time. I just turned it on and it started playing by artist alphabetically. The 2nd song is the one they play at the end of Slumdog Millionaire (awesome movie by the way - makes me want to adopt some Indian children). It's a fast-paced BollyWood song, that they do some cool dancing to. Anyway, I was so pumped, enjoying the music, and using this new machine, I almost cried. I just felt so happy. I was taking time for myself to do something that is great for me, and it felt so important. My spiritual feelings have been lacking for awhile now, but at that moment I was so thankful to Heavenly Father for motivating me to go, and for allowing me to feel so good. I told Jenny at Christmas that I have never experienced that rush of endorphins or 'Runner's High' people talk about. I guess I did today, because I enjoyed the workout - DURING - the workout. I could've went longer than 30 mins, but I didn't want to get bored. I want to work up to things. So I did my tricep extensions for 20 mins and then came home. And I did call Justin, and apologize for being snippy. And I called Patty, to share my enthusiasm, and invite her to keep coming with me. She says she will.
Now to hit the shower!

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Thanks for the "update". I am glad you had fun. Exercise is something that you have to MAKE yourself do to get started, then when it becomes a habit you feel you can't live without. It is also a great mood lifter. The times that I have been committed to exercise were the times I was the most content. Keep up the good work, it will be worth it. Love you!

Meri said...

Way to go! Okay, I'm inspired. It's just me and my running shoes, but I've gotta do it. I'm a gal who does better with a running buddy, that's for sure. I'll be glad when I can hook up with my friends at home when we return in a few weeks.

The Boohers said...

Awesome! Music helps so much. I tried exercising without it today, and after five minutes, I couldn't take it anymore. Plus it was boring old treadmill. Thumbs down. Thumbs up to cool booty elliptical!