Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Adaleh Amber O'Patchen - Mar. 2011

Eight months ago my sister, April, had her second sweet baby girl. She was born on March 7, 2011 at 9:01am. If you notice she has the same initials I do, AAO. That's because my sweet sister gave her my middle name, Amber. I'm so excited. I want to get us matching monogrammed everything! I had the privledge of being at the hospital, when she had the baby. I didn't go in the OR this time during her c/section, since Josh was here. So he took his rightful place w/Daddy duty. But I was waiting in the recovery room for both of them, and spent the first night in the hospital with April & Addy.


How miserable do you think she is?
Okay folks what's your guess? Was this a 9# baby? No. Was this a 10# baby? Nooo. Was this a 12# baby? Lord, NO!   Baby girl weighed in at a mere.... 11 lbs. and 4 oz.!!! She was 22 .5 inches long. She was the biggest baby most of the staff had seen delivered there. Initally everything went pretty well, and April's pain was controlled pretty good. So we were happy compared to last time. However, the hospital stay was a pretty crappy experience in some respects. One, this hospital practices rooming-in, so when you want to sleep, you can't send the baby to the Nursery. No problem except that we had been up since abour 4:30am. And the nurses and techs kept coming in at different times to bother us. It has really made me see how little rest my patients get, and is making me more sympathetic. Second, because April had chosen to breastfeed, the hospital refused to give her any formula. I later found out it may have been because it was a military hospital, and they don't get free formula, so they don't give it away as freely. They were the breastfeeding Nazi's. I'm sorry, I understand biology & supply and demand, but that baby was the size of a hippo, and she was breastfeeding every hour! We got no sleep! A little from a bottle here and there, might have let us all get a little more rest. I could've went to the store, to get her some formula, but if I left the base, I couldn't get back on w/out Josh there. So, by the time he came the next day, we traded off and he spent the night at the hospital w/her, and I went back to their house. I couldn't wait to get a shower and sleep. Anyway, maybe I'll expand more later, but for now, here are some pictures....

Josh is suited up & ready to go!

Cutting the cord shorter.



I'm pissed this Newborn diaper barely fits me!

 
I'm hungry! FEED ME!!!

Because of her size, they immediately began hypoglycemia protocol, checking her blood sugar every hour for 4 hours, and then every 4 hours for 24 hours. Her blood sugar never dropped. With each pregnancy, April has never had gestational diabetes. She just grows BIG babies!



She loves her Daddy!

In the recovery room.

In Daddy's arms, check out the gun show on this Newborn!
 
About to have her first bath. See how she takes up
almost the whole length of the warmer.

Getting measured!


The poor, tired mommy...

Not the best photo, but it really reminded me of a picture I
have of Cody somewhere.



The tired Big Sister Sashi. She isn't too sure about this new baby:)
 

No comments: